Sunday, June 20, 2010

Housekeeping - June 20 SU

It's been about three weeks since my last "housekeeping" post, and if anything this one is probably overdue.

First I want to acknowledge that since the first of the month we have been blessed with two more Followers. I see 9 visible but the Blogger dashboard continues to tell me that there are a total of 11. Welcome to the newest two.

I would also like to note for the first time that we are starting to have a few RSS subscribers. As of today FeedBurner says there are 15 subscribers.

Perhaps these numbers sound small, but I am very pleased by them. This blog launched exactly 53 days ago and I think has made a nice start. I added a hit counter [way down at the bottom of the page] a while back, mostly out of curiosity, but I've been pleased by what I've been seeing there as well. So, here's a very big thank you to everyone who has given support, offered encouragement, or just come by to see what's going on.

I also want to express my thanks for the behind-the-scenes help I've been receiving, without which doing what I do would be exceedingly difficult if not impossible.

My goal, since I first began uploading nothing but The Alex Jones Show about a year and a half ago, has always been to share a consistently good "product" and I work at this every day. I take the extra time to normalize the volume in the audio files; I make sure .mp3 tags are in place for all the basic fields and that they're done in a consistent manner; and I try to follow logical naming conventions for files and torrents. I also try to keep to a reasonable balance between audio quality and download size -- i.e., I try to keep to a minimum 32k bitrate for the .mp3 files I upload while trying to stay with 64k if at all possible. Occasionally I will down-convert from 96 to 64 in the interest of holding file sizes down, so long as it does not seem to significantly degrade voice quality. And I try as much as I can to make my torrent descriptions... well, descriptive, and I offer playlist files in multiple formats when there are more than four audio files.

My objective is for people who see "sebaygo1" on a torrent name to have a sense that they kind of know what to expect. I want "sebaygo1" to be a trusted brand. And I don't seek this for any self-aggrandizement. If 53 days from now there are a dozen more people involved in this project, making to possible to put a small dent in distributing the many, many programs that deserve to be heard, I would be delighted to speak of sebaygo1 as "WE." Eh, I can dream.

For now I'm continually looking for ways to work more efficiently, and ways to do more. There are other shows I would like to make part of the regular distribution, but I hesitate because I am afraid that I might start and then find I just don't have time to keep it up. I have received specific suggestions, such as The French Connection and The infoUndergroud Radio that I'm interested in pursuing, but I want to be sure I can maintain it.

If you are connected with an alternative news/commentary show and are interested in working with me to enhance the distribution of your program via bit torrent, please contact me. As you can probably guess from the URL of this blog you can communicate with me via gmail [sebaygo1 at gmail, for those who want it spelled out].

I've been asked why I put so much work into uploading torrents of these radio shows [and the occasional videos, ebooks, etc.,]. Virtually all of these shows have websites and host their archives; anyone interested in hearing it can go there, right?

I do this because I think there is vitally important news that people will never get from the government/corporate mainstream media outlets. The only way most people will ever become aware of this is through the alternative media. But one who is unaware either needs to go out in search of this alternative news, or [more likely] be the beneficiary of someone putting it in front of their face. I can't do a radio show, but I can give my time and energy to the further distribution of a handful of shows via the bit torrent system.

In the overall scheme of things, I may not be doing much at all... but I am at least doing something. Using the stats available to me, I can conservatively estimate that 100 people per day or more get The Alex Jones Show via my torrents. My hope is that people who begin to awaken through the Jones show will begin to also listen to Michael Rivero and other voices and come to their own understanding of what's happening and what's at stake [rather than blindly following any one leader].

Sorry, I don't mean to preach, but that's the gist of why I do what I'm doing.

A final couple of things and then I have to get busy editing Alex's Sunday show that I've been listening to while writing this. Big thanks to Friday's Anonymous commenter for the link to the collection of John Coleman books. Now I just need to find the time to read the ones that I have not already [good luck, me]! And finally, from yesterday's comments: "Over9000," I'm not exactly sure how to answer your question until I know more about what you have in mind. Email me, if you'd like.

I surely did not intend for this post to run this long, but I'm certain that I've forgotten some things I had been wanting to mention. So, maybe it won't be so long until the next housekeeping post, and perhaps in the meantime I will think of something better to call them. Thanks for your time and attention!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your hard work.

I hope you get time to read the
John Coleman material I uploaded.

PS

I will continue adding links as I come across new PDF's of his material.

I am still missing about 7 books.

Thanks again
cheers

sebaygo1 said...

Terrific!

Thanks again for following through on this.

Anonymous said...

Good blog entry - your reasons for uploading for folks who need to stay off the radar is very valid.

It also has to be said, your uploads that have the show conveniently broken into hourly segments are also very useful, the full unbroken MP3 direct from Alex's site doesn't have this ease of use.

Great stuff, I hope you can continue.

Lyn

sebaygo1 said...

Thanks for the kind words, Lyn.

And thanks for giving my a name by which to address my response. :)

I respect anyone's wishes for anonymity online... moreso that the average netizen probably. But sometimes pseudonymity is more useful [a la sebaygo1]. As it is, I have no idea how many people are actually behind the "Anonymous" that shows up in comments here. I have zero desire to know who individuals are [i.e., TrueName] but it would be handy sometimes to be able to differentiate among the various Anons.