Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Caution: Torrage - Possible Trojan

This anonymous comment was made to today's torrents posting:
Why, when I download the AJS show from the torrage.com link am I all of a sudden getting a trojan?: TrojanDownloader:HTML/Adodb.gen!A
That is what my antivirus says. The download of the torrent gets interrupted when I try. I've never had a problem before with your uploads and it seems that it could only be a hacker getting into the feed since it's a link you posted at your own blog.
I replied:
I really don't have an explanation for that, but I do appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Are you experiencing this with the torrage.com link or the torrage.ws link?

Have you tried the magnet link?

Hope to hear back from you on this soon. Email me at Gmail if you want to.
I will check into this to the best of my ability. If you have had a similar experience with a torrage link [or if you've used one of them today without a problem] please share your experience. For now, I feel that I should recommend using torrage links with caution until more is known.

I am reasonably sure that there is not a potential for an issue such as this with the magnet link, so if you regularly use torrage links perhaps you could switch to that for the time being. I know that magnet links work with μTorrent but I don't have personal experience with other clients. Wikipedia, however, says:
Applications supporting magnet links include Vuze, BearShare, DC++, Deluge, gtk-gnutella, Kazaa, LimeWire, FrostWire, MP3 Rocket, Morpheus, Qbittorrent (as of v1.5.0), BitComet (as of v1.17), BitSpirit, Shareaza, MLdonkey, aMule, KCeasy, TrustyFiles, μTorrent, Transmission (as of v1.80), and KTorrent (as of v4.0beta1).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the one who reported the trojan and it happened with the magnet link too. Maybe it's my antivirus. I got an automatic update to it right before I tried downloading the torrent. I read about some antivirus programs marking peer guardian as spyware. Maybe I'll have to try some other torrent to see.

sebaygo1 said...

O.K., Anonymous.

I will go ahead and do some more checking here, too, though.

I just reread your original comment and saw that you did specify torrage.com, so that will let me narrow my focus a little.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hoping for the best!

Anonymous said...

It's the trojan guy again....
Everything seems to be going fine for today's jones show. I had clicked on the torrage.ws link yesterday first, and then canceled it cuz I don't know what the hell ws is. but it occurred after the torrent was downloaded and it alerted me to the trojan downloader as the files were at about 2% downloaded with both the .com and magnet link. I've been downloading this since sig did it and never had a problem, which is why I'm glad you set this up. Sorry if I caused any sort of fuss. I appreciate your efforts.