Saturday, January 19, 2013

Blog Misc -- 2013 Jan 19 SA -- When It Rains, It Pours (updated)

I was awakened this morning by toothache pain. In this case from pain in two adjacent teeth, teeth that have not been bothering me at all. It is Saturday. Short of going to an Emergency Room (which we cannot afford, for something that's not life-threatening), all I can do is endure it. And so far, even after taking a dose of 12 hour Naproxen, it's no better.

One heck of a way to start the day, right? Well, it gets better.

About four hours ago, we suddenly had no water. We called the "after hours and weekends" number for our water company. We discovered that number is not answered by the water company, but rather by one woman who has a phone number for THE "on-call-tech." The only thing this woman can do is leave a voice-mail message for THE "on-call-tech." We've spoken with her twice (3 times now), and it's like talking to a stump.

I have a very strong feeling that if we do not hear from THE "on-call-tech" within the next two or three hours, we will not have water until sometime Monday!

Think about all the things you will do this weekend that use water. We have enough water stored to keep the toilets running, do some basic cooking, etc., but no baths, no showers, no laundry, no washing dishes and probably dozens of other things that I can't think of at the moment.

Our bill was paid in a timely manner, but we cannot even speak with anyone about a possible mistake regarding our account, because no employee of the water company is working, save perhaps for the mysterious (maybe mythical) "on-call-tech" person.

I have a whole lot of pain and I have a whole lot of anger and I have no idea when I will have any relief of either. I will try to get the usual Saturday work done, but I must confess to you that at present my motivation is kind of low.

Wish us luck, please.

Update:

With less than an hour remaining until 5:00 p.m. -- what I was imagining to be the latest in the day that we might hear from THE "on-call-tech" -- he called and was just blocks away. The answering service woman had given him our house number as 4410 rather than 4110. A few minutes later, he was here and we had water. His explanation was that ANOTHER TECH had been here mid-morning and installed a new water meter [WHY??] and forgot to turn the water back on at the meter!

Wish I could turn a valve and shut off this toothache now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! As they say (no not the salt company): when it rains it pours.

As a tip, if you can determine that the water was shut off at the meter, find a neighbor with a water "key", and turn it back on yourself. I wouldn't count on the water company to be expedient..

Oops, you just updated your post, good that you are back in business..

Good luck my friend, hope your toothache gets better.

Anonymous said...

Toothache pain is the worst, and you won't be able to sleep if you don't stop the pain. From personal experience I can tell you that the pain can be stopped with Oregano oil. Ionic Silver works also but not as powerfully as the oil. You will need to apply it at the gum-line so the oil will be able to penetrate the dentin instead of the enamel. Same thing if you have a crown on that tooth. You will need to check the area with a flashlight and a toothpick to make sure there isn't a hole at the gum-line where food can collect. Bacteria will start there and can cause much pain and you have to get any loose material out. Rinse well with the ionic silver or water and then apply the oregano oil with a q-tip. You can get the oil at your health food store which is called Oreganol because it is a mix of approx. 20% oregano and 80% olive oil. Pure oregano oil will burn your skin and should not be used directly. Get the Oreganol P-73 and avoid the Now brand as it has a plastic dropper which is dissolving in the oil creating a terrible taste. It is temping because it is so cheap compared to the Oreganol.

colin rogers said...

Wow...not a good day my friend, on top of that I'm sorry but I must add that you possibly just became the proud owner of a new "wireless smart meter"...without your consent. I'm sure you know how bad these things are said to be health wise. :(

sebaygo1 said...

I had not thought about it, but it would not surprise me if it is a new smart meter. There was one on the natural gas when we moved in here and we received one for the electric a few months later. A smart water meter would totally surround us with the evil devices.

sebaygo1 said...

BTW, roonster, thanks again for your tip on a new Recent Comments widget. It looks to me to be working fine.

colin rogers said...

No problem...thankyou you've done a lot more for me and my family with the work you put in here :)