Friday, July 1, 2011

Housekeeping, Somewhat Literally - July 01 FR

.
Relocation Update.

Tomorrow, Saturday, is a big day. The moving company truck is scheduled to arrive at the house we are renting between 8:00 and 9:00 in the morning with all of our belongings that have been in storage (about 90 percent of what we own). Also, the washer and dryer we are renting are supposed to be delivered and set up sometime after noon. We got a fabulous deal on the laundry pair from Aaron's Rentals -- we are paying only slightly more than one arm and one leg per month! And, in theory, the used refrigerator we bought [hopeitworks-hopeitworks-hopeitworks!] will be delivered sometime during the day.

Unfortunately, the house will still not be habitable because he wonderful people at Comcast could not find a way to provide us with internet service earlier than Tuesday of next week. Thankfully, we've found that we actually have the corporate apartment through the end of next week, so work here will go on. I am thinking that, since we'll be getting a reasonably early start tomorrow, I should be in a position to upload the Tarpley show [if it's a new one... who knows, since he was still in Tripoli today] at a reasonable time of day.

Oh, and speaking of the wonderful people at Comcast, I am about to dealing with something I've never faced in my 21 years of using the internet -- a bandwidth cap. Yes, boys and girls, 250 gigabytes per month is all that I have to use without incurring steep overage charges -- and that is upstream + downstream if it has been explained properly to us. I am going to probably be a little conservative during the first month... perhaps only seeding torrents for 3-4 days instead of a week or more, etc. I would love to hear from users who have any experience dealing with Comcast generally, and in Texas in particular.

Anyway, I think there is much less chance of any serious interruption in my work than I was fearing earlier. With a little luck, things should be more or less normal for the next couple of days. Monday of course in the 4th of July -- Independence Day in these more-or-less United States. I suspect that Jones and Rivero and Schiff will air re-run material that day and it will depend on the age of it as to whether I'll be uploading it or not. But there will be at the least information here about what they are broadcasting. Alan Watt, being a citizen of Canadia™, I am guessing will probably have a fresh show.

By this time next week, we will be occupying our new abode, a relatively small but nice two-bedroom [i.e., one bedroom & one computer room] approximately 40 year-old house. There are still a number of unknowns to face... what utility bills will run, etc., but we are looking forward to a more normal life, even if we will only be able to afford beans and rice.

If you will, please keep us in your prayers, send us positive vibrations, or anything of the sort.


8 comments:

brit torrent said...

good luck and smooth sailing !

Hippie said...

Good stuff, Does this mean you will or won't need my help with base shows? or just stay alert? Great to hear it's an easier transition than once thought! I, as always, wish you luck and safety in your travels, even if this is kind compared to the move to temp housing!

sebaygo1 said...

Having made it through today, I am optimistic that I will be able to continue what I normally do. Of course we will be unpacking for weeks, but the unload today took not much more than half the time I imagined.

Being able to keep the apartment for a little while longer has helped with things greatly, and though that ends in six days things at the house should be ready before then... although our fridge delivery guys bailed today.

Yes, this move is a piece of cake compared to the last one. Last time it was a tiny Saturn packed to the roof including two cats and a 570 mile drive with severe thunderstorms about 80 percent of the way. This time it clear skies and 16 miles!

Anonymous said...

Comcast in Texas... your in for some fuuuun!. The type that causes ulcers.

Get a seed box, it's the only way.

Hippie said...

I commented way before I read the whole thing, A bandwidth cap is like a funeral to me, I'm sorry thats happening, if and when its necessary, I will disseminate info for you if my lack of enforcement continues, as it seems the regions gateways dont limit, even if its in the fine print, later to be implemented.

BeThePeople said...

good to hear, that you both finally get to have a place again, that you can call home!

once you are there, you can do everything in your own pace and to your liking again - will be a relief.

must have been hard on both of you

be good, be safe

kpolsson said...

Here in BC with Shaw for Internet, the "high speed" plan ($50/mon) has a cap of 125 GB/month, which used to be 60 GB until it changed in June. They have a myriad of plans from $75-135 for much higher caps (and unlimited).

sebaygo1 said...

Thanks, Hippie. I am concerned, but only time will tell how much of an impact this limit will actually have on me. However, I used to seed virtually every torrent for about 2 weeks. This year I have cut that back to about 7-8 days and no one has complained. I think that for my first Comcast month I will back off to 4-5 days and see how that works.