Saturday, November 3, 2012

Blog Misc. -- PayPal Donations Review -- 2012 Nov 03 SA

In response to several requests, I finally got this blog set up to receive contributions of financial support via PayPal in September of 2010, about five months after launching the blog. September through December of 2010, donations totaled $381.19, a monthly average of $95.30.

In the calendar year 2011, donations totaled $1,066.49, representing a monthly average of $88.87. [ALL of the amounts mentioned here are NET received from PayPal after they took out their transaction fees.] This was a slight decrease from the previous year, but still quite generous and very encouraging.

So far this year -- 2012 -- things have been taking a different turn.

In July, net donations totaled $9.41. This was the first time a month's contributions had totaled less than ten dollars.

August brought a nice recovery with total net donations of $73.21.

Then came September with zero donations. A friend suggested that there might be a "message" in this, and that perhaps I should re-evaluate how I invest my time. I chose to think of this as an anomaly, just a bad month and not a reason to question the work that I was doing, day in and day out.

But then came October.



In October, Republic Broadcasting slowly inched their way closer to an objective of raising $40,000 with which to purchase new hardware. And in October, Alex Jones splurged with a 49.5 hour marathon "money bomb" fund-raising broadcast (all of which was uploaded here). Jones fell short of his lofty one million dollar goal, but certainly gathered a very significant sum.


During the month that this was happening this blog, once again, received zero donations. This time, it has been difficult for me to not imagine that there is "a message" to be seen in two consecutive months of no contributions of support. It would seem that now either no one who finds value in the work that I do is able to contribute in support of that work... or, that no one now finds value in my daily work.

One is discouraging. The other is kind of devastating.

For longer than this blog has been in existence, this sort of work has been "my job." To an extent, this is mostly the kind of work that I am able to do at this point in my life. This blog was created initially to facilitate work that I was already doing, and then to expand that work. There have been set-backs (e.g., the cease-and-desist from Peter Schiff and the DCMA takedown from Jack Blood) and there have been times when health issues have simply prevented me from spending enough time at the computer to do all that I would wish to do. But I continue to see an importance in spreading the kinds of information that is published via this blog.

This blog was not created with the expectation that it would be a "revenue stream" for me, but the simple fact is that the donations that have come from here have made a significant difference in our life. It's humbling to admit, but true that there have been lots of times when the arrival of a donation came at just the right moment so that we didn't have to choose between buying groceries and putting gas in Mrs. S's car.

This post is meant neither as a demand, nor a plea for donations. There is no implication that if money doesn't start rolling in I'll just quit. What I hope to learn is whether the "message" of the past two months is that I am no longer providing value in the No Agenda sense of "value-for-value." If that IS the case, then I know there are lots of hours in the evenings that Mrs. S would rather I spent with her instead of the computer.

There are other issues I'd like to address that will impact the future of this effort, such as the impending implementation of the "six-strikes" plan embraced by my ISP, Time-Warner, Cablevision, Verizon and ATT in which a user can earn a "strike" simply by visiting a "rouge site" (e.g., The Pirate Bay). But I have said enough for now. I would like to hear from you -- about what you think the message of September and October is, and about whether this blog still matters.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am one person who still finds value in your blog, I just find myself in the embarrassing situation of not having enough spare money left over to be able to donate as this blog (& you) deserves.

I'm being priced off the road already, now the time when I'm priced off the Internet is rapidly approaching as well.

As your lack of donations shows it's not just me that's effected.

If you do decide to stop the blog I wish you well in whatever you get up to.

Warren Vale said...

Hello there. In over a year of visiting your blog every day, this is the first time I've posted a comment. I'm in the UK and your blog is my number one resource for alternative media links. I also appreciate listening to your own comments and input - I always feel we're quite alike in our desire for truth, but with a healthy scepticism of those who deliver it.

The human element of your posts, the technical difficulties, the weather, illness, also creates a bond between you and your visitors (it can't just be me that feels it.)

I just want you to know that if I could contribute, I would. I know that sounds a bit trite, but financially my life sucks! If it wasn't for an internet promise that my girlfriend unwisely made to me a couple of years ago, I wouldn't even have my daily dose of Sebaygo.

I don't want this to sound like 'poor me' because millions of people are now in the same position, but I want you to know something important... I (and I'm sure everyone else) would understand if you couldn't continue with your work. It'd be sad, but we'd understand.

Here's why I hope it doesn't happen - without wishing to sound too much like a fanboy, you give me hope that maybe things will be okay in the end. It's the fact that an ordinary man (no insult intended) WILL go to that much effort for the good of complete strangers around the world that gives me the hope.

The information that you make available (particularly raising my awareness of those 'non superstars' of the truth movement) means that I can pass on that information to others. I could never hope to do what you do, my own contribution is tiny in comparison, but without you - that contribution would have been much less.

So I'd understand if you had to stop, but I'd feel like I was losing a friend.

Warren.

PS: It may be small consolation, but you're at the top of my 'people I'm going to help if I ever win the lottery' list!

colin rogers said...

hi dude,

I'd just like to echo what Warren said above. I have always fully appreciated the time and effort you continue to put into this fantastic resource you have created. As you may know I'm in the UK too and I have made small donations if/when I can in the past, when I not have not been able to this is by no means a reflection on your work it is totally due to my own personal financial circumstances.
I work in the PCB industry and much of our "non military" work has been outsourced to China (yes ironic I know considering I now know why due to the information I've been able to gather here..) The mil-spec side of our work has also seen a large downturn recently and with this went the overtime and any small bonus's we relied on. I had hoped to donate a small amount recently but then our car gave up the ghost, anyway the point I'm trying to make is I think many people may be in the same/similar circumstances. Don't ever take it as a reflection on the great work you do here, and please don't quit.

All the best
Roon

ps: I never did hear anything back from Rivero concerning his show being cut, seems to be sorted out now though ;o)

kpolsson said...

I think there are many factors at work here. People are used to visiting information sites, blog sites, download sites, and not paying. Some of it is the day to day ease of coming here, getting what we need, and not being reminded of making donations. Other people provide their own sites, and will have a variety of money solutions (ads, donations, goodness of their hearts).

As for me personally, do I get value from this site? Absolutely. Yours is the first tab open in the web browser, and it stays open 24 hours a day, to be refreshed at least once a day. You cut the ads from the shows I listen to, and you provide interesting bits of info that you think is important. I've been here possibly from the beginning, and donated a bunch when there were 20-30 followers. But as I've seen it grow to 60 and now 70 followers, I can't help feeling that many of those other people should be donating too.

If you need to spend more time elsewhere, DO IT, and let the blog know. You have to be happy first, the site comes second. Set priorities, and find a way to encourage us followers to donate to keep the shows we want to see here. Maybe move the "click to contribute" button to the bottom of each show, with a line of text encouraging occasional donations to help keep this site on the web. There are ads on other truth/info sites, maybe check if some want to place ads here. Maybe place Amazon ads to movies and documentaries that fit with the topics here.

Anonymous said...

All of these people have great ideas, and I'll echo the point that people habitually will not pay for online entertainment for whatever reason. Holidays, 2012 Armageddon, or maybe just hard times for your audience. I wouldn't read in too deeply, maybe see how it's going at a 6 months mark?

Look inward, and make sure this still fulfills you. Do what makes you happy, and the support will follow. Times are hard for a lot of people right now, just try and stay positive!

Treb!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your work and when I do finally get paid, I will contribute.
Thank you for doing what you do... but do what you will for your own hearts desire.