Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Weather, Again!

We have enjoyed almost 72 hours without a power outage, and that may well be about as much as we are going to get.

I just saw a "breaking news" weather report on a local Houston channel that described a group of storms that are headed toward us: "heavy rain, some quarter-sized hail, wind gusts of up to 60 mph, and an extreme amount of lightning."

Apparently we can expect the leading edge to hit us in 45 minutes to an hour. I will very shortly be shutting down this computer and unplugging devices from the wall. I want to seed the What Really Happened torrent that I just uploaded for as long as I can, but we've "dodged the bullet" a lot of times in the past week and I don't want to take more chances. I will be back online when I can.

Wow, just heard the first rumble of thunder.

UPDATE :: 12:55 p.m., Wednesday 13 June

In northern Arkansas we could count on having an ice storm almost every year, that would have us living without electricity for a day or two (if we were lucky). Houston doesn't have ice storms, but they certainly do have thunderstorms and the power grid in our little suburb is especially vulnerable to them. We have experienced power outages during 5 of the last 7 days!

We lost power most recently at 4:45 p.m. Tuesday afternoon and it wasn't restored until almost 11:00 last night. Once the electricity was back on, I immediately found that I had no internet connection (and no cable TV). Thankfully, both came back just a little while ago as I was eating lunch.

There is a chance for similar storms again, late this afternoon, but I am trying to not think about that right now.

My sincere thanks to those who helped seed when I was unable to do so, and to everyone for your patience.

1 comment:

Diceman said...

You got me hooked on Alan Watt and now I need a fix :)

I just discovered that he hosts new episodes on his 90s-era site, it's hard to tell what's on there.