Friday, January 20, 2012

An Excuse/Explanation

I don't know how noticeable this has been to regular blog users, but I have been working extra hard this week to get work done on something approaching a typical schedule. After mentally debating this for the last few days, I've decided to disclose a problem with which I am currently dealing.

Sunday afternoon a small blood vessel in the back of my left eye ruptured, creating a tiny "blind spot" for me. This is not the first time this has happened. The first time was about 11 or 12 years ago. Since then -- if memory serves -- I have had five of these in my right eye and three in my left (including the most recent).

Right now, there's a dead spot in my field of vision of my left eye. Oddly enough, it reminds me of the shape of the state of Kentucky. I would estimate that it obscures about one percent [possibly slightly less] of my field of vision for that eye.

I know from "eye doctor" visits over the years that once this happens, it does not go away or get better. Fortunately (VERY fortunately) the visual center in my brain is fairly plastic... and within 3 or 4 weeks of one of these incidents, I stop seeing the dead spot. My brain fills in the area, apparently based on what I can actually see immediately surrounding that spot.

This "Kentucky spot" is a little larger than most of its predecessors, but I hope it will not visually persist for longer than usual. The immediate problem is that painful eyestrain occurs when working at the computer quickly enough that I am not able to work in a normal manner. So, even working as diligently as I can, it takes me longer to do the usual work because I have to take more breaks.

The bottom line :: please bear with me if I seem somewhat slow in the near term. This is something I've dealt with before, and I have good reason to expect it to be relatively temporary. It's weird, and more than a little disconcerting, but all I can do is cope with it and go on.

Thanks for your patience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im sure everyone will feel with you and hope you won't be bothered by that too much. I also know the penomenon where I have blind spots that potentially over the lifetime only grow in size and number, but I thought that was just like too much staring near the sun. Now that I hear this, I wonder if it is not really the same.

Well I hope you won't get more serious problems with it. Nobody likes to lose a bit of his vision, but as you said: You can only do so much about it.

I'm glad to have another freedom lover out there, so keep up to good work if you find the time.

Gesundheit!

sebaygo1 said...

Thanks, Anon!

Dave said...

Good luck my man. Thanks a lot for the uploads, it's a great service. BTW you might want to look into medicinal cannabis, even though it's illegal. Check out the documentary called Run From The Cure. People have been curing all types of stuff with what they call hemp oil (not hemp seed oil but oil made from actual cannabis buds.) Of course the governments don't want us to know about it but their own secret research into the matter confirm that it works.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you are ailing, my friend.

Please don't worry about the timing of your posts...and if you need to take a break for a few days, I'm sure some of us could probably help fill in the blanks.

Remember, all that you do for us by posting these is a gift--a benefit--a boon. We receive these with gratitude and no expectations. We're thankful for your efforts and the time that you put in.

SA